It’s Keto. It’s Louisiana. It’s amazing.
Cooking the cuisine of my beloved home state has been something of a challenge and I’m still in the experimental stages on most of it. Remoulade, though … delicious, creamy, flavorful remoulade … lends itself rather deliciously to a low-carb lifestyle. You just have to do one teeny weeny itsy bitsy thing.
You have to make your own chili sauce.
Dude, it’s so easy. Here’s what you do:
- 2 red hot chili peppers, chopped (two chilis, not two band members. Cuz, ew. Although it would definitely leave scar tissue if you chopped up the … yeah. I’ll stop.)
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- If you’re not on low carb, toss in a couple Tbsps of sugar.
Toss it all in a saucepan , bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Put it in jar or something, cover it, and pop it in the fridge to get cool.
See? That wasn’t so hard. And SO MUCH BETTER FOR YOU!
On to the remoulade!
- 1 cup mayo (get the good stuff, fergawdsake.)
- 1/4 cup of cooled chili sauce. I mean it’s still hot. But spicy hot. Not temperature hot.
- 2 Tbsp Creole mustard
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped green olives
- 2 Tbsp minced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp capers, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Toss it all in a bowl and mix well. Taste for seasonings and adjust. Cover and refrigerate.
(See that? You tricked me into giving you two recipes. Naughty.)